March 12, 2011

PE2- iMovie11 (Part 2- Organizing & Editing)

I'm continuing my tour through the                                              iMovie 11 Tutorial course in Lynda.com
The first thing I want to mention is that I feel fortunate to actually understand the Toolbar. (Ta-dah!) 

I'm planning to leave my preference settings on "Advanced Toolbar" since it's all benefits and nothing to lose. Watching this after having the experience of playing around a little on my own, I'm thinking, is a benefit. I'm familiar enough with it to be able to keep up while he rushes through somewhat quickly. However the items on the toolbar are fairly straightforward once you roll the cursor over them to find the names. Besides, this tutorial is simple enough to navigate and it's so easy to go back and review.

I also didn't know about the Precision Editor. I think I stumbled into it a few times but didn't know how to get it back- It's really a beautiful thing!

Knowing I could have adjusted the clip size and rated clips in the past would have made it much easier and less time-consuming. I somehow figured out how to adjust the sound on my own but knowing about the audio level meter would have also conserved time.

I am struck by the amount of time the speaker is devoting to emphasize the importance of organizing what's imported into iMovie. I've been dabbling with iMovie in a few of my assignments over my first three months of EMDT. Up until now I didn't know how to easily find my Events Library let alone organize it. But a "word to the wise" is sufficient enough for me! From now on I vow to label, add key words, and people-finder labels. I will also invest a little time as I work on each project to rating the footage. That way I'll be able to find what's good when I want to use it again and be able to discard what's not in order to save memory space.

I still have a question that I believe has to do with the way I imported my Leadership Interview Video which was my first project for our TMD course last month. I'll post it in this blog soon. When I taped the video, the scene was centered properly. The resulting import into iMovie looks fine as well. However, in the final showing, we could have used a bit more headroom. If you have any suggestions, you know I'd love a post.

Otherwise, watch for my next post. I just might find the answer as I complete this tutorial.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, from Catherine,

    I'm sorry to say that I wasn't able to load my screen shots or video example into this blog(or the following one) because I accidentally spilled a cup of tea that splashed onto my computer =( I'm using my husband's PC until my computer is back from the Apple hospital...could be as much as 5-7 days... I'm just greatful that it will be able to be repaired.

    Don't forget to Back up all your work! My situation would be worse if I did not have an external hard drive.

    ReplyDelete