March 12, 2011

PE1- iMovie 11 (Part 1-Lynda .com)

As prompted this week for EMDT- ETC class I've begun to use Lynda.com's online training library to get my iMovie Certification. Lynda.com is an Online Training Library® started by Lynda Weinman, 

an American business owner, author and self-taught computer instructor who began the sight as a free tutorial place for her students in 1995. It's grown to include tutorials in just about any program you'd want to know about from the creative to the technical.  In my opinion, its user-friendly, video based format is well worth the monthly or annual subscription they now charge.

The site even has a "How to Use Lynda.com" tutorial. However, it takes one hour and twenty minutes.  Good thing the site is quite intuitive and I can look at that tutorial when I have more time. ;)
If you know what you want to view you can type it into the homepage search that you'll find toward the top or bottom:
 Or look in the contents listings at the bottom of the homepage:

Right now I'm cruising through to the iMovie tutorial.  

I like the way the description clearly states how long it takes to complete the tutorial on the left under course summary and includes topics covered along with a paragraph about the course:
As you can see in the picture above, there's also a tab for exercise files that you can download so you can work along with the tutorial. You may also use your own files if you'd like. The inherent suggestion is to follow along as you work to aid understanding and retention.

The eyeball icon in the "viewed" column clearly shows what you've accomplished and is an easy way to know where you'll need to pick back up if you aren't able to sit through an entire course in one viewing.
As you can see here I've been through the welcome and first 2 sections already. I only wish I'd gone through this tutorial before muddling my way through iMove trying to complete assignments for my first three months of EMDT. I could have saved so much time!

While viewing up to this point, I've had a few "O-yeah!" and "A-Ha!" moments concerning the beginning process of gathering information to begin putting a movie together with this program. Some of the information was not entirely relevant since I don't own all of the recording devices discussed, but now that I've seen it, I'll know where to go if I need the information in the future. That's one of the features I like about this Lynda.com site, I can go back and review to my hearts content.

I'm going to find out more about the interface now. In my next blog I'll let you know how I feel about what this tutorial says concerning organizing and editing.

So, check back soon!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. You should go through the tutorial before trying to navigate on your own.

    ReplyDelete